Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Do you believe in innertube karma?


On my 45-minute commute this morning, I offered help to a cyclist in the midst of changing a flat. Unless I'm in a hurry, or unless I know I cannot offer assistance, I usually ask the rider "do you have what you need?" Nine times out of ten they respond "yeah," and I'm on my way. But this morning the guy sort of says "uh, no," so I stop to help. It turns out he mistakenly purchased two 650c tubes for his 700c wheels. I give him my only tube and go on my way.

Of course, not 10 minutes later, I flat. Without a patch kit or extra tube, I'm effectively stranded. But then another guy comes along and offers assistance. I gratefully take a tube from him. While I'm installing it, a teammate comes by and I tell him my story. He loans me a quick patch and helps me inflate the tire, and we're off. With the patch kit, I should be able to limp home tonight even if I flat again.

So -- do you believe in innertube karma? Will there always be an extra tube for everyone in the cosmic tube universe? I didn't immunize myself from getting a flat by giving away a tube, but I did find another person willing to help. Hopefully the good karma will continue on the way home.

No comments: